Rep. Kelly Statement on Ways & Means Approval of Bill to Repeal Obamacare
“The end of Obamacare and the start of a better health care system”
WASHINGTON — U.S. Representative Mike Kelly (R-PA) – a member of the House Ways and Means Committee – issued the following statement today regarding the conclusion of the full committee’s 18-hour mark-up hearing to approve the Ways and Means component of the American Health Care Act.
“After 18 straight hours of open deliberation, the Ways and Means Committee answered the American people’s call and that of President Trump and officially put the American Health Care Act on the path to becoming law. The end of Obamacare and the start of a better health care system began this morning and will continue until cost-lowering, patient-centered health care for every American is fully achieved. This is news of enormous relief for American workers, families, seniors, those who are sick and vulnerable, and those who give them medical care.
“This historic bill represents Phase One of the overall repeal and replace process; Phase Two will be the action that Secretary Price takes at the Health and Human Services Department, and Phase Three will come in the form of future patient-centered legislation that could not be included in the reconciliation process. With the leadership of President Trump, as well as the support of conservative policy champions like Vice President Pence and Secretary Price, my colleagues and I in Congress will fulfill our promise to relieve the nation of Obamacare while avoiding the mistakes of its disastrous creation. Through it all, we will guarantee that this delicate process remains honest, open, and transparent for the American people.”
NOTE: Read the full text of the American Health Care Act here.
The Ways and Means component of the bill accomplishes the following:
- Dismantles Obamacare's taxes and mandates—including the individual and employer mandate penalties and the taxes on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, health insurance premiums, and medical devices;
- Empowers individuals and families to spend their health care dollars the way they want and need by enhancing and expanding Health Savings Accounts (HSAs);
- Helps Americans access affordable, quality health care by providing a monthly tax credit to individuals and families who don't receive insurance through work or a government program;
- Protects Americans with pre-existing conditions from being denied coverage, and those under 26 from being removed from their parents' health insurance plan.
- Section-by-Section Summary of the Ways and Means Component
- Obamacare: By the Numbers
- Delivering Relief from Obamacare’s Taxes and Mandates
- Providing Tax Credits to Low- and Middle-Income Americans
- Expanding and Enhancing Health Savings Accounts
- Conservative Wins in the American Health Care Act
- Support from President Trump and HHS Secretary Price