2016 Congressional High School Art Competition
High school students throughout the 3rd Congressional District are invited to submit artwork for the 2016 Nationwide “Artistic Discovery” Competition sponsored by the U.S. House of Representatives. This competition rewards talented high school students for their artistic abilities and dedication.
Accepted artwork mediums are as follows:
- Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
- Drawings: colored pencil, pencil, ink, marker, pastels, charcoal
- Collage: must be two dimensional
- Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
- Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
Local art professionals will judge the artwork submitted and determine the top four awardees (1st place / 2nd place / 3rd place / Honorable Mention).
NEW THIS YEAR: We are bringing the competition to social media! Pictures of all artwork submitted will be posted on Rep. Kelly’s official facebook page, where the number of “likes” will determine our 2016 “FACEBOOK FAN FAVORITE.”
All of the top honorees will receive a congressional commendation and special recognition at the ceremony. In addition:
- The Facebook Fan Favorite will receive a $100 Visa gift card
- Rep. Kelly will display the 2nd and 3rd place artwork, as well as the honorable mention, in his Washington, D.C. office.
- The winning student will have the distinct privilege of showcasing his or her artwork in our Nation’s Capitol.
- The winner will also receive two (round-trip) Southwest Airline tickets to Washington D.C., to attend the NATIONAL Art Competition Ceremony and watch as their artwork is placed on display in the Capitol Building.
- Please note: All students who submit artwork will receive recognition for their efforts and artistic abilities.
How to Submit Artwork:
2. Complete the 2016 Congressional Art Competition - Student Release Form.
3. Submit artwork to one of the following district offices:
- Butler District Office
101 East Diamond Street (Suite 218)
Butler, PA 16001
- Erie District Office
208 East Bayfront Parkway (Suite 102)
Erie, PA 16507
- Sharon District Office
33 Chestnut Avenue
Sharon, PA 16146
*NOTE: If a student/school does not have the resources to deliver the artwork OR is simply unable to do so, we would be happy to accommodate and pick the artwork up. In order to request an artwork pick up, please contact Stephanie Stevenson at Stephanie.Stevenson@mail.house.gov or (724)282-2557.
An awards ceremony for the Third Congressional District “Artistic Discovery” Competition will be held in the spring of 2016. All artists, their families, teachers, friends, school personnel and local dignitaries are invited and encouraged to attend.
*NOTE: All details regarding this event will be available in the near future – please check back.