Government Oversight and Reform
I am committed to reducing spending and decreasing the size of the federal government. Many existing government programs are duplicative, wasteful, outdated or unnecessary. It’s of the upmost importance that we bring the era of big government to an end.
As I considered where I could utilize my business background to tackle government spending issues and burdensome regulation that hinder job creation, the Oversight & Government Reform Committee was at the top of the list. Congress needs to be vigilant in ensuring that taxpayers’ money isn’t wasted on the unnecessary pet projects of legislators.
Through the Oversight & Government Reform Committee, I am tasked with offering real government reform measures and providing oversight over the entire executive branch. Pennsylvanians want their government to be held more accountable and deserve to know how their money is being spent.
The federal government can take steps toward paying down the national debt as we actively review existing spending programs and cutting unnecessary programs.
The following is a list of legislation I have supported to help reform the federal government and make it more accountable to the American people:
- INTRODUCED LEGISLATION providing additional disiplinary tools for Senior Executive Service (SES) Employees. Rep. Kelly introduced H.R. 6016, the Government Employee Accountability Act in response to the GSA Las Vegas conference scandal. The legislation adds the option for Agency heads to place SES employees on Administrative leave with or without pay.
- FOUGHT TO HOLD ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER ACCOUNTABLE OVER HIS INVOLVEMENT WITH FAST AND FURIOUS. Rep. Kelly voted in favor of H.Res. 711, which recommended the House find Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr. in contempt of Congress for refusal to comply with a subpoena issued by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. The subpoena asks for 10,000’s of pages regarding the Fast and Furious gunwalking program which resulted in the loss of 100’s of Mexican lives and the death of Customs and Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
- INTRODUCED LEGISLATION to Eliminate subsidies for electric vehicles. Rep. Kelly introduced H.R. 3768, the End Electric Vehicle Subsidies Act. The federal government subsidy for electric vehicles goes towards a segment of the industry that is not ready for market. The credits largely go towards upper income earners, not the middle class.
- COSPONSORED THE REINS ACT. Rep. Kelly voted in favor of H.R. 10, the Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny Act (REINS Act) which would require Congress to take an up-or-down, stand-alone vote, and for the President to sign-off on all new major rules before they can be enforced on the American people, job-creating small businesses, or State and local governments. H.R. 10 passed the House on January 19, 2011, by 241-184.
- SUPPORTED THE RED TAPE REDUCTION AND SMALL BUSINESS JOB CREATION ACT. Rep. Kelly voted in favor of H.R. 4078, the Red Tape Reduction and Small Business Creation Act. Which would prohibits a federal agency from taking any significant regulatory action for 2 years or until the national unemployment rate is 6% or less. This includes regulations resulting in an annual effect on the economy of $100 million or more. H.R. 4078 passed the House on July 27, 2012 by 245 – 172.
- COSPONSORED LEGISLATION ELIMINATING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION’S CZARS. Rep. Kelly is a cosponsor of H.R. 59, the Sunset All Czars Act, which eliminates the funding for the 39 czars Obama has employed during his administration. It would require any czars be confirmed by the Senate.
- COSPONSORED LEGISLATION ENDING THE LAME DUCK SESSION AFTER FEDERAL ELECTIONS. H.R. 339, the End the Lame Duck Act, would end the legislative session after the general election if the majority party loses power. This boss’ honors the political will of the American electorate.