Economy and Jobs
“I look forward to working with the president and my colleagues in the House to put forward pro-growth policies that will create jobs and restore confidence in the American economy and in our political process”
Our nation is in the midst of one of the greatest economic downturns of our generation. With more than 23 million Americans out of work, underemployed, or who have given up looking for work altogether, we need to do everything in our power to create a climate for growth in order to get Americans working again.
We must enact common sense, pro-growth policies that give small businesses and entrepreneurs renewed confidence in our economy and remove the barriers to growth that stifle economic recovery and hamper job creation. These barriers include onerous government regulations that limit the private sector’s ability to invest, grow, and create jobs, as well as our nation’s $16 trillion debt which threatens our financial viability and our national security.
In order to address these barriers, I have and will continue to support an agenda that addresses our economic challenges, fosters innovation and investment, and helps job creators without raising taxes on working families and small business owners.
Bills I am supporting:
Legislation to Empower Small Business Owners and Reduce Regulatory Burdens:
Small business owners are being bogged down by burdensome regulations from Washington that prevent job creation and hinder economic growth. We must remove onerous regulations that are redundant, harm small businesses, and impede private sector investment and job creation.
- Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act (H.R. 872)
- Energy Tax Prevention Act (H.R. 910)
- Disapproval of FCC’s Net Neutrality Regulations (H.J.Res. 37)
- The Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act (H.R. 2018)
- Consumer Financial Protection & Soundness Improvement Act (H.R. 1315)
- Protecting Jobs From Government Interference Act (H.R. 2587)
- Transparency in Regulatory Analysis of Impacts on the Nation Act (H.R. 2401)
- Cement Sector Regulatory Relief Act (H.R. 2681)
- EPA Regulatory Relief Act (H.R. 2250)
- Coal Residuals Reuse and Management Act (H.R. 2273)
- Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act (H.R. 3094)
- Regulatory Flexibility Improvement Act (H.R. 527)
- Regulatory Accountability Act (H.R. 3010)
Legislation to Fix the Tax Code to Help Job Creators
America’s tax code has grown too complicated and cumbersome, and it is fundamentally unfair. It is filled with loopholes and giveaways. Congress should eliminate the special interest tax breaks that litter the code and reduce the overall tax rate to no more than 25% for businesses and individuals including small business owners. This would make the tax code flatter, fairer, and simpler. Common sense changes to the tax code will ensure that everyone pays their fair share, lessen the burden on families, generate economic expansion, and create jobs by making America more competitive.
Legislation to Increase Competitiveness for American Manufacturers:
The more that businesses export, the more they produce. The more businesses produce, the more workers they need. This means job creation. We must enact legislation that opens new markets to American made products.
- United States-Korea Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act (H.R. 3080)
- United States-Panama Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act (H.R. 3079)
- United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act (H.R. 3078)
- Southeast Arizona Resource Utilization & Conservation Act (H.R. 1904)
Legislation to Encourage Entrepreneurship and Growth:
America has historically been on the cutting edge of innovation and technological development, but we are increasingly falling behind our global competitors. Stronger protections for new ideas and products, greater access to a well-educated workforce, and a more efficient and predictable government approval process will empower American business owners to compete in the 21st Century economy. We must make it easier for existing businesses to grow and allow more start-up companies to flourish.
- Small Company Capital Formation Act (H.R. 1070)
- Small Banks’ Access to Capital Act (H.R. 1965)
- Entrepreneur Access to Capital Act (H.R. 2930)
- Access to Capital for Job Creators Act (H.R. 2940)
- Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act (H.R. 3012)
Legislation to Maximize Domestic Energy Production to Ensure an Energy Policy for the 21st Century:
The energy sector is crucial to our economic growth, and high energy costs have a major impact on job creation. We need policies that allow us to harness our abundant supply of natural resources in America, develop new sources of energy, and create jobs here at home.
- Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act (H.R. 1230)
- Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act (H.R. 1229)
- Reversing President Obama’s Offshore Moratorium Act (H.R. 1231)
- Jobs and Energy Permitting Act (H.R. 2021)
- North American-Made Energy Security Act (H.R. 1938)
Legislation to Pay Down America’s Unsustainable Debt Burden:
Washington has a spending problem, and the federal government’s spending binge has put our nation in debt, eroded economic confidence, and caused massive uncertainty for private sector job creators. It's time to live within our means.
- Budget for Fiscal Year 2012 (H.Con.Res. 34)
- Cut, Cap, and Balance Act (H.R. 2560)
- Full Faith and Credit Act (H.R.421)
For more information concerning my work and views on the issues of Economy and Jobs, please contact my Washington, DC office.
I look forward to your feedback.