Do you support sending federal taxpayer dollars to abortion providers?
While I support federal funding for women’s health, I do not believe, and a majority of Americans do not believe, that taxpayer dollars should fund abortions. Despite the fact that it is illegal to spend federal taxpayer dollars on abortion, there is increasing concern that abortion providers who receive federal funds are using that money to help support their abortion practices. That is why I am working to end all taxpayer funds for abortion providers, including Planned Parenthood, America's largest abortion provider.
If you don't know much about Planned Parenthood, here are some facts that the Susan B. Anthony List recently put together based on Planned Parenthood's 2011-2012 Annual Report:
· During fiscal year 2011-2012, Planned Parenthood reported receiving a record $542 million in taxpayer funding in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding consists of 45%3 of Planned Parenthood’s annual revenue.
· In 2011, Planned Parenthood performed a record high 333,964 abortions.
· Over the past three reported years (2009-2011), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (995,687).
· Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2011, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion.
· In 2011, abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 7% (28,674) and 0.6% (2,300), respectively. For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 145 abortions.
· Cancer screening & prevention services and contraceptive services provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop. Contraceptive services have dropped by 12% since 2009, and cancer screening & prevention services have dropped by 29%.
· Planned Parenthood reported $87.4 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.2 billion in net assets.
To ensure that federal dollars received by Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers will not be used to subsidize abortion procedures, I am an original co-sponsor of H.R. 217, the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act. Click here to view the legislation.
As we mark the 40th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade this week, I will continue to work to honor the will of the American people and prevent abortion providers from using hard-earned taxpayer dollars to perform abortions, one of which tragically takes place every 94 seconds in America, totaling more than one million a year, and nearly 55 million since abortion on demand was legalized in 1973.
To view more of my pro-life efforts, click here.